Tuesday, March 24, 2009

pink lulu

Today is my best friend, Deepa's, birthday. To celebrate, we went to her (and my) favourite restaurant Vegetarian Haven. It's food with character, really!

I called the owner to ask if I could bake a cake and bring it in. She was fine it, as long as it was vegan (which isn't too far-fetched for me, considering I'm halfway there as a lacto-vegetarian). However, I thought I'd be ambitious and make it not only vegan, but also organic. Well, fortunately I don't have a picture of that disaster. The cake completely stuck to the pan even though it was greased.

My second attempt was much better with my mother around for emotional support. There's something about my mother's presence that always improves the quality of my experiments in the kitchen. She doesn't really do much, but having her around has always been the missing ingredient that successfully completes the product.

I was super excited with the outcome of my cake, pink lulu. Apart from being a Yoga instructor, Deepa is a huge fan of Lululemon apparel. So it was only suitable to make her a Lulu cake in her favourite colour. Although, I can't take credit for the idea - that goes to my brother-in-law.
Overall, it was a great evening - one of great company, warm memories, laughing until our stomachs hurt, and amazing food.

No comments:

Post a Comment